Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Thoughts of Andrew and Joseph Upon Smoking Their First Cigars

12/02/07

The legal smoking age in Italy is 16. When the boys found out about that, they decided they wanted to smoke their first cigars there. So, one day when we were in the lovely town of Siena, Fr. Foos searched out and purchased three Cuban cigars: one for him, one for Joe, and one for the eager Andrew. I had them write out their experiences in my journal, and here are their thoughts for one and all to read. Thanks guys!

"Well, Sarah wants me to write on my experience on how my first cigar was so here it goes...All day everybody was building it up saying that I am not going to like it and that I am going to throw up after the first couple puffs. So I get it lit up and start smoking it. Some said that I looked more natural than Joe. But I never threw up. About halfway through the cigar I started to feel a bit dizzy so I sat down. It was a Cuban Habana cigar, and I liked it! While I was smoking it, it went around and Bekah, Amanda and Sarah had a few puffs as well. Towards the end of the cigar it started to taste ashy, so I put it out and saved it so that I can remember my first cigar in Italy." - Andrew Bradley, age 17.

It's true...some of we girls had a few puffs as well. I consider it a nasty habit for women to smoke, and especially to smoke cigars. Fr. Foos actually gave me his to try, which was shocking, if you know him. What are my thoughts on the subject? It felt like having warm smoke in my mouth...I personally don't think it would be much different if I held my mouth over a campfire!! But anyway, moving right along...

"Most of what Andrew said works for my story as well. Honestly, I wasn't super impressed. I mean, it was fun because it seemed like a rite of passage. I couldn't smell or taste a lot, and I don't know if I was doing it right because my cigar kept going out. However, I didn't get dizzy and I didn't vomit. I simply had a relaxing evening with my friends." - Joseph Salvatore...er...Don Giuseppe Salvatore, age 17

There you go.

1 comment:

Zany said...

Wow - that's pretty funny!! That would've been hilarious to watch.